ant-user mailing list archives

From "Edward Gemar" <ege...@forwardvue.com>
Subject Building C# projects using Ant
Date Tue, 16 Apr 2002 15:38:03 GMT
Hi all,
            The project I am working on has a J2EE server component and
.Net C# client.  We have the Java server components building and
deploying fine using ant and now need to automate the build of our C#
client.  I know there are .Net optional Ant tasks, but they don't seem
to do what we need.  We would like to be able to just point to our
existing Visual Studio solution and project files and have them build
correctly.  Currently, we are using the VS devenv.exe tool with the
proper command line switches to this manually.
            There is an environment variable VSCOMNTOOLS that Visual
Studio sets up that in theory we can use to point to the devenv.exe
location.  The problem is that the path set in VSCOMNTOOLS is quoted and
does not point directly to the devenv.exe location.  i.e. -
VSCOMNTOOLS="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
.NET\Common7\Tools\"  Ant barfs if you try to add a relative path to a
path that is quoted i.e. "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
.NET\Common7\Tools\"..\IDE
            So the question is:  Is there a better way to build VS .Net
projects using Ant?  If not is there an easy way to strip the quotes
from a path or property?  That will solve our problem if there is a way
to do it because then it is trivial to build a path to the devenv.exe
and invoke it using the <exec> task.

            Thanks

Edward Gemar
ForwardVue Technologies, Inc.