ant-user mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <>
Subject Re: Please clarify a point about properties
Date Wed, 03 Apr 2002 17:23:39 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Diane Holt" <>
To: "Ant Users List" <>
Sent: Wednesday, April 03, 2002 11:46 AM
Subject: Re: Please clarify a point about properties

> --- Erik Hatcher <> wrote:
> > And use env.WHATEVER in your file as the property to
> > set there. And internally use that property name internally to your
> > build file where needed and override from the command-line
> > using -Denv.WHATEVER=<whatever>.
> Except you wouldn't actually need to override it that way, since it's an
> environment variable, so you don't need to do it as a define -- just set
> it in your env. (To do it on the fly, just do 'WHATEVER=my_value ant'
> [except under funky DOS, you have to do 'set WHATEVER=my_value && ant'].)

Agreed - I was just showing how to override an environment setting, thats
all.  Its very likely you may want it set in your environment, yet override
it on a per-build basis for some reason.

> > I prefer not to use "env." properties internally and reassign them to
> > non-enviromental looking names - if you wanted to do that in this case
> > you'd have to resort to a temporary property to act as an intermediate
> > placeholder, I think.
> If you don't want to use the "env." property names throughout your build
> file, just reassign it to another name once it has a value.

But the question is: how do I craft it such that I don't have env.WHATEVER
in my properties file.  I'd rather have simply whatever.prop listed in my
properties file, without the env prefix.  Can you craft an example that
shows that?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message