ant-user mailing list archives

From "Erik" <e...@sumerduckva.com>
Subject RE: GUI for Ant?
Date Tue, 16 Apr 2002 00:26:08 GMT
Having worked with both NetBeans and IDEA, I'd say don't even bother with
NetBeans, unless you need to debug front end stuff.  If not, IDEA blows it
away.  Where I work we have about 17-20 developers... we had a mix of
JBuilder, Forte/NetBeans, text editor/command line junkies (me) and some
other odd IDEs here and there.  A few weeks after someone tried IDEA we
ordered 15 licenses.

But, to each his own.

I'm about to try out Antidote myself!

-----Original Message-----
From: dhemeryy [mailto:dale@dhemery.com]
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2002 6:26 PM
To: ant-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: GUI for Ant?

Hi Gordon, Dave, Mike, Chris, and Richart,

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I was trying to avoid the effort of building Antidote from source (I wasn't
up for getting and learning some CVS tool, downloading the Antidote source,
and figuring out how to convince Ant to build it).

Well, I stopped avoiding it.  Got CVS.  Got the Antidote source.  Built it.

Antidote does exactly what I need.

I will use it mostly to build a web site from XML source.  For that, I
wanted something simple, and not a full IDE.

On a related note, lately I have been comparing IDEs for some hobby
projects.  For the moment, I'm trying NetBeans.  If I get to the point where
I'm prepared to spend money on an IDE, I will definitely check out IDEA.
I've heard lots of developers gushing about it.

Again, thanks to all of you for your recommendations.

Dale