ant-user mailing list archives

From "Vincent Massol" <vmas...@octo.com>
Subject RE: some design questions about "ant in anger"
Date Sat, 20 Apr 2002 21:57:05 GMT

[snip]

> > > another issue that seems problematic is that of testing. we will
be
> doing
> > > servlets, so there are at least four (4) levels of testing: junit,
> cactus,
> > > httpunit, and someOtherTesting. ...
> >
> >cactus needs ant; httpunit is simply another junit target you run
*after*
> >deploying.

Just a remark: Cactus does not really need Ant. You _can_ use Ant (it's
even recommended) if you wish to automate Cactus tests. It would be the
same as if you were saying that javac needs Ant ... (compilation can be
automated with Ant).

> >so it goes: build, unit tests. deploy. httpunit. cactus
> >-maybe swap http unit and cactus if you want
>
> yes, cactus seems to deploy in place somehow (at least with tomcat).

No, Cactus does what you want it to do. Cactus is a simple jar :
cactus.jar. What you do with it is up to you. Cactus simply needs to be
packaged in your webapp WAR file (or EAR). Now you can deploy it
manually in your container, use Ant, do some in-place deployment by
configuring the container, etc. It's really up to you. The Cactus sample
shows how to perform in-place deployment (which is my preferred
mechanism).

Just my £0.2 pence ... :-)

> thanks for your assistance.
>
> ---