ant-user mailing list archives

From stephan beal <>
Subject Re: article: combining make and ant
Date Fri, 22 Mar 2002 09:49:15 GMT
On Thursday 21 March 2002 22:12 pm, Diane Holt wrote:
> but all in all, I'd say it's not so much things
> Make does that you like, but what the *nix shell does. :)

basically, yeah - it makes a nice front-end for shell code. Few things are as
graceful as shell code :). Windows-using co-workers often ask why i'm such an
avid shell user. i can only point them to examples like this:

tar cf - cvsroot/* ssh stephan@poe 'cat | gzip -9 -c > cvsroot.$(date

That's one command line using 5 different tools (tar, ssh, cat, gzip and
data) used to perform one complex command across two different systems.

----- stephan
Generic Universal Computer Guy -
Office: +49 (89)  552 92 862 Handy:  +49 (179) 211 97 67
Student: "Master, you must teach me the way of liberation!"
Master:  "Tell me who it is that binds you."
Student: "No one binds me!"
Master:  "Then why do you seek liberation?"

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message