ant-user mailing list archives

From stephan beal <step...@einsurance.de>
Subject Re: Ant design question(s) - #1
Date Mon, 18 Mar 2002 18:25:47 GMT
On Monday 18 March 2002 19:11 pm, you wrote:
> I am converting some old makefile-based builds to ant and I have a couple
> of design questions... here's the first

you and i have had the same task, so i'm sure we've made some of the same
"mistakes"...

> Best to explain by example. I have a root directory, underneath which are
> two subdirs, one for java and one for native code. I have 3 separate
> build.xml files, one in each directory. The way I have written it now, the
> root-level build.xml sets some environment variables that the subdir
> build.xml's use (e.g. destination directory).

what i've done in this case is set up a separate build.properties, and
include that from build.xml:
<property file="build.properties"/>

> I figure this is good because
> these are defined in only one place. But it's bad because the two
> build.xml's in the subdirectories are not standalone - they have to be run
> through the main build.xml else there are undefined variables.
>   So the question is, is there a smarter way to do this?

you can include the property file via:
<property file="../build.properties"/>

----- stephan
Generic Universal Computer Guy
stephan@einsurance.de - http://www.einsurance.de
Office: +49 (89)  552 92 862 Handy:  +49 (179) 211 97 67
"I ain't gen'rally given to physicality of that nature but it saves
a lot of arguing." -- Nanny Ogg