ant-user mailing list archives

From "Guthrie, John" <JGuth...@air.org>
Subject Ant design question(s) - #2
Date Mon, 18 Mar 2002 18:11:08 GMT
I am converting some old makefile-based builds to ant and I have a couple of
design questions... here's the second

I want to have a "help" target that will list out all the possible targets
in the build.xml. There are three ways I think I could implement it, from
easiest-and-ugliest getting more elegant (my opinion) but also requiring
more work. Again, suggestions and opinions are welcome. Ideas are:
  A. just put in a bunch of "echo" tasks stating what I want stated. Makes
for a big ugly target
  B. put help info in a separate file and write a "cat" taskdef (couldn't
find one in my ant distro, 1.4.1) that cat's it out. build.xml looks much
nicer
  C. write a taskdef that gets an enumeration of all targets in a build.xml
(I figure that is accessible somewhere in ant), maybe matches up targets
with a property file of explanations and generates a help statement from
that (targets that are not in the prop file get listed with no explanation).
This one is obviously a bit more work.

thnaks!