ant-user mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: Adding a custom task to default.properties
Date Thu, 07 Mar 2002 21:38:04 GMT
Or better yet, a true plugin architecture as someone recently wrote on this
list. Just having custom tasks and types in the classpath should be enough
for them to be picked up. And the actual task name (used in the XML build
file) can even be specified using a public static final String, and grabbed
thanks to reflection. It's just the matter of scanning the classpath, and
looking for concrete classes implementing Task and DataType. Search can be
narrowed by loading only classes based on the package/class name (speeds up
the search greatly, by using the convention already used by ant
**.ant.**.taskdefs.**, **.ant.**.types.**). I'm sure many people will object
to automagically add tasks/types, but that would make adding custom task
real easy.

I've done scanning of the classpath like described above recently (grabs the
URLs of the URLClassLoader, and scan these), and its pretty fast (.2 seconds
for a really big classpath, on a fast and recent DELL/W2K). --DD