ant-user mailing list archives

From Scott Ellsworth <sc...@alodar.com>
Subject Tool to find unused methods
Date Fri, 22 Mar 2002 21:43:30 GMT
Hi, all.

We have twenty-some-odd projects that are built via ant, and then
assembled into a few dozen executables.  These have grown organically
for several years, and thus have a fair amount of detritus in the java
files.

It would be really neat to find methods and classes that have become out
of date, stale, or just plain superfluous.  For example, we would love
to know which of our many projects are still using which deprecated
methods, and how many users there are of some methods we have not yet
decided to deprecate.

Can anyone recommend a hopefully open source tool that works well with
ant which will tell us what we are not using?  I could accept sending it
a single or small list of method signatures and the jars that might use
them, in return for a list of dependent classes.

(I looked at depend, but it did not seem to do this in a human readable
form.)

Scott