ant-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Barclay <dbarc...@mercator.com>
Subject RE: windoze absolute path messes up CLASSPATH setting
Date Fri, 29 Mar 2002 15:39:44 GMT

> From: s b [mailto:sammy@ihateclowns.com]
> >One can use absolute pathnames without coding absolute pathnames in
> >the build file.
>
> Daniel, could you please elaborate on this?

One can code relative pathnames in build files in ways that get them
expanded to absolute pathnames.

One can code absolute pathnames outside of build files in ways that
cause those pathnames to be used in build files (e.g., in properties
files, in environment variable values, and, if I recall, in Java
properties).

Therefore, the difficulty with absolute pathnames can occur even without
hard-coding absolute pathnames in build files.

(Someone (you? I deleted the message) seemed to think that the problem
with absolute pathnames wouldn't occur much if one avoided _directly_
_coding_
absolute pathames directly in build files.)

Daniel