ant-user mailing list archives

From "Hensley, Richard" <Richard.Hens...@McKesson.com>
Subject RE: Ant design question(s) - #2
Date Mon, 18 Mar 2002 18:23:10 GMT
What about ant -projecthelp?

This prints the main targets (those with descriptions) and subtargets.

-----Original Message-----
From: Guthrie, John [ mailto:JGuthrie@air.org <mailto:JGuthrie@air.org>
]
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2002 10:11 AM
To: Ant Users List (E-mail)
Subject: Ant design question(s) - #2

I am converting some old makefile-based builds to ant and I have a
couple of
design questions... here's the second

I want to have a "help" target that will list out all the possible
targets
in the build.xml. There are three ways I think I could implement it,
from
easiest-and-ugliest getting more elegant (my opinion) but also requiring

more work. Again, suggestions and opinions are welcome. Ideas are:
  A. just put in a bunch of "echo" tasks stating what I want stated.
Makes
for a big ugly target
  B. put help info in a separate file and write a "cat" taskdef
(couldn't
find one in my ant distro, 1.4.1) that cat's it out. build.xml looks
much
nicer
  C. write a taskdef that gets an enumeration of all targets in a
build.xml
(I figure that is accessible somewhere in ant), maybe matches up targets

with a property file of explanations and generates a help statement from

that (targets that are not in the prop file get listed with no
explanation).
This one is obviously a bit more work.

thnaks!