ant-user mailing list archives

From Guillaume Rousse <rou...@ccr.jussieu.fr>
Subject Re: javadoc get confused by java package running jsdk-1.4
Date Wed, 13 Mar 2002 13:56:58 GMT
Ainsi parlait Jon Skeet :
> > Building javadoc is OK with jsdk 1.3.1, but fails with 1.4.0,
> > due to javadoc
> > confusing package named java with source files.
>
> I'm not entirely surprised - given that JavaDoc takes the names of
> packages, source files or class files, if you've got a package named
> foo.java, it seems reasonable for JavaDoc to think you might actually be
> talking about a source file called foo.java.
Actually, it is not foo.java, but foo.bar.buzz.java, but as the dot has no
special meaning for unix filename, it is a perfectly valid name.

> Whether or not this is a bug in JavaDoc and/or Ant, I suspect the *best*
> solution for you is to rename your packages - I would imagine you could end
> up with problems like this in other situations too.
Sure, but they are not *my* packages :-)

> (It's like having a class named Foo in a package named Foo - there *should*
> be ways to get things to work with that structure, but it's best to avoid
> it in the first place.)
Once done, however, it is difficult to change. And as previous javadoc didn't
have this behaviour, it seems much a javadoc bug than a poor design problem.
--
Guillaume Rousse <rousse@ccr.jussieu.fr>
GPG key http://lis.snv.jussieu.fr/~rousse/gpgkey.html