ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Basic setup of Junit in Ant?
Date Wed, 13 Mar 2002 23:33:12 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: <guru@stinky.com>
To: "Ant Users List" <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 09:47
Subject: Re: Basic setup of Junit in Ant?

> Or better yet, add an exception handler to Ant that checks for the
> particular exception (ClassNotFound?) when loading a task from
> optional.jar, and prints a more descriptive error message.  Right now
> it says
>
> Could not create task of type: junit. Common solutions are to use
> taskdef to declare your task, or, if this is an optional task,
> to put the optional.jar in the lib directory of your ant
> installation (ANT_HOME).

you mean a message like :

Ant could not find the task or a class this task relies upon.

This is common and has a number of causes; the usual
solutions are to read the manual pages then download and
install needed JAR files, or fix the build file:
 - You have misspelt 'javaac'.
   Fix: check your spelling.
 - The task needs an external JAR file to execute
   and this is not found at the right place in the classpath.
   Fix: check the documentation for dependencies.
   Fix: declare the task.
 - The task is an Ant optional task and optional.jar is absent
   Fix: look for optional.jar in ANT_HOME/lib, download if needed
 - The task was not built into optional.jar as dependent
   libraries were not found at build time.
   Fix: look in the JAR to verify, then rebuild with the needed
   libraries, or download a release version from apache.org
 - The build file was written for a later version of Ant
   Fix: upgrade to at least the latest release version of Ant
 - The task is not an Ant core or optional task
   and needs to be declared using <taskdef>.

Remember that for JAR files to be visible to An t tasks implemented
in ANT_HOME/lib, the files must be in the same directory or on the
classpath

Please neither file bug reports on this problem, nor email the
Ant mailing lists, until all of these causes have been explored,
as this is not an Ant bug.

This is what you get in a nightly build

> which may be technically accurate, but doesn't really help newbies
> solve the problem, since optional.jar *is* in the lib directory.
>
> Another option is to bundle JUnit itself inside optional.jar.  It's
> about 122K, but could get a lot smaller if the GUI is removed.  I'm
> not sure if the licenses are compatible, but I have a feeling you can
> make it work.  Obviously, this opens a can of worms wrt upgrading
> JUnit versions, but I thought I'd mention it.

would cause way too much confusion