ant-user mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <>
Subject Re: How can I have Ant replace unset properties as just empty string
Date Sat, 30 Mar 2002 15:06:14 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Drew Davidson" <>

> I think that Alt 1 is the way to go for now because Alt 2 is just not that
clear, given the amount of code required to
> acheive the goal.

I agree!  :)  Besides, Alternative 2 relies on some wacky features of Ant in
regards to using an 'id' attribute on a task and then dereferencing it into
a string.

I'm still curious to know if there are any missing pieces for your scenarios
when using Alternative 1.

> Is there an interest on a Struts-like front-end to ant, so that you can
iterate, have conditionals, and so forth?  I am
> planning on writing one using the template language from my web framework
(which supports JSP).

There is definitely interest in templating Ant's front-end.  Costin has made
progress in decoupling the XML parsing, so I think? its pluggable now.  But
template generation of build.xml files is something that has been talked up
for quite a while too.  So lots of possibilities in how to go with such

We probably should use analogies for JSTL too - since it handles some of the
things Struts does, plus has expression language evaluation (think
OGNL-like? - you get to explain that one Drew!).

Would you contribute your Ant front-end back (sorry, have to ask!)?  At
least whatever you can that is not directly tied to your proprietary web

> BTW Erik, when's your book coming out, man?  I want a copy!!!

Hopefully June.  I'm working as fast as I can on it now and its nearing

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message