ant-user mailing list archives

From "Craig Minton" <cmin...@dstsystems.com>
Subject Capturing the ant output when starting ant from inside a servlet
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2002 20:55:51 GMT
I have created a servlet that will kick off Ant and record all of the output to log file. I
also have created my own task that will pull my source files from PVCS Dimensions. This runs
perfectly when calling Ant from a command line. For calling it from a servlet, I have essentially
used the same code that was inside Main.java to reroute System.out and System.err to a logfile,
create a project, and then execute the target. When I do this, however, the ONLY output I
get in the log file is the output for the task that pulls the code from Dimensions. All other
output seems to disappear, including the target lines, such as init:, dist:, etc. The Ant
script continues to run correctly, I just do not receive any output. Again, I am calling the
main build.xml file which calls the task that pulls the code from Dimensions. I am not calling
that task directly. So I am very confused as to why I would only be logging the output that
my home-grown task creates.

Thanks to the archive of this user-list, I have been able to solve all of my other problems,
but this one has me stumped. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I will gladly answer
questions if I have not provided enough information here.

On a side note, I have to agree with others that parts of Ant are not documented well, or
at all. Case in point, the Project class. I was able to find the information on how to use
it on this mailing list archive, but it would be very nice if that was included in the documentation
and the methods were documented.

-Craig