ant-user mailing list archives

From "Kyle Adams" <kad...@gfs.com>
Subject Re: AW: Win2K vs Sun
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2002 19:54:27 GMT
More info:

JDK 1.3 and Sun's javac were used on all machines.  While jikes will speed up
the build, we're currently using javac for any builds at the integration level or
above (test, production environments).

The chip on the Compaq machine is a Pentium III.

Linux is not an option - the Unix group at our company has decided Linux is an
unsupported OS.

Question:

If using the <parallel> task allows Ant to more effectively use MP, then why
did the Win2K machine appear to do a much better job of distributing the
load (without the <parallel> task)?

As stated in my first post, both processors showed a 58% load.  This is in
contrast to the Sun E450 that had a 100% load on one processor while the
other three had no load.

Kyle

>>> Michael.Koegel@partner.commerzbank.com 02/27/02 10:15AM >>>
Hi Kyle,

have you tried jikes? I would recommend it as build compiler!
Is Linux an option?
My own experience is that a Pentium 4 makes a difference. Are you talking
about PIII or PIV with your W2K-Machine.
Are you using Sun or IBM JDK? I don't know for the compiler, but normally
IBM is faster.

Regards,
 Michael