ant-user mailing list archives

From Peter Davis <pdavis...@attbi.com>
Subject Re: Ant, SAX Parser and Internationalization
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2002 22:37:38 GMT
On Monday 18 February 2002 14:13, Bevan Arps wrote:
> At 16:50 18/02/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> >Thanks Bevan, that helps to explain the issue. I've been to a few sites
> > that indicated that UTF-8 chars included u00F8. Or perhaps I am confusing
> > UTF-8 with Unicode. Since we have to internationalize, I guess the best
> > option is to get the default encoding at runtime and give it to Ant - and
> > then pray!
>
> UTF-8 is just a way of encoding all of the UniCode characters in a form
> that is closely backward compatible with 7-bit ASCII (note, not 8-bit
> ASCII).
>
> Hence, we can use ASCII tools to write our build.xml files, our xslt
> programs and xml documents without problem.
>
> So, UTF-8 DOES include the character u00F8 - but the encoding of it is not
> to write the character literally in the same way you do currently.
>
> If I recall correctly, you should be able to write \u00F8 or something like
> that.

The UTF-8 characters are being processed by the XML parser, which doesn't
treat '\' specially.  If you can't find an encoding that supports your
characters, then you should be able to use XML escape sequences like '&#xF8;'.

--
Peter Davis
The trouble with being punctual is that nobody's there to appreciate it.