ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Cohen" <Ste...@ignitesports.com>
Subject RE: pathconvert - why doesn't this work?
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2002 02:40:07 GMT

Thanks, Diane, at least for confirming that I'm not crazy.

I am very sorry that I "discovered" <pathconvert> this morning.  I wasted much too much
time on it.  I had already decided to roll my stuff back unless someone could come up with
an obvious fix I was overlooking.

As I think you surmised, my "sample" was just to demonstrate the flaw, not what I was REALLY
trying to do.  Here's what I'd LIKE to be able to do.  We have a number of programs that are
launched from batch files.  These batch files do things like call other batch files and we
have found that relative paths do not work and we've always hardcoded full paths.  Then we
got smarter and started using replaceable parameters and that worked pretty well.

But it still always bothered me that that I have this one property which I call "dist.dir.bin"
which is the directory into which ant dumps the modified binaries with the replaced parameters
and another property "runtm.bin" which represents the directory from which it is run.  Logically,
these are the same directory or at worst, a root-to-root mapping, differing only in slash
vs. backslash.  <pathconvert> ought to be able to handle this, and it isn't.  This means
that every little change in build environment entails a tweaking period, especially when doing
test builds for my own code changes.  It's so annoying and unnecessary.

And while we're at it, I can't tell since I've never gotten the pathconvert map to work right,
but can the "from" and "to" parameters handle embedded property strings as well as literals?

I may have a go at fixing this. ...

Or else, we should really get smart and port this whole mess to unix :-)