ant-user mailing list archives

From "Jon Skeet" <jon.sk...@peramon.com>
Subject RE: Compiling files 1 at a time
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2002 13:56:00 GMT
> I just checked the source code for Ant (v1.3.1) and it looks
> like it gathers the collection of files together and then
> passes the whole collection on to the compiler. I was
> wondering if there was work-around or whatever that would
> allow me to have the files compiled 1 at a time. Therefore if
> there was an error as much of the system would compile as
> possible. Currently if I get a single error the whole build
> has to be thrown out the window. Since it is un-usable. I am
> thinking to switch to Ant from my make-based system to solve
> the above. But currently, it looks like Ant will not solve my
> problem and I will need to create my own Javac compiler wrapper.

If you change your source code after fixing one compiler error, you *should* rebuild everything
related to that anyway - otherwise subtle dependencies like constants might not be apparent.

If you can, define some boundaries between projects so you can compile a "base" or "common"
project first, then another project which depends upon that one, etc. That should keep your
compile times down, if that's what you're worried about. (Compile times have really come down
a lot in the last couple of years anyway - are you sure this is *really* a problem?)

Jon