ant-user mailing list archives

From Mike Kaufman <>
Subject RE: Setting environment variables for a javac task
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2002 19:03:38 GMT

The suggestion of passing in JAVA_HOME as params in an antcall does not
override environment settings.

However, I think I have found a solution. You can override environment
settings for javac by recursively executing ant via an <exec> tag and
setting the environment variables for that <exec> tag.  For example:

<target name="build">
 <exec executable="./../ant/bin/ant.bat" dir=".">
      <env key="JAVA_HOME" value="${env.JDK_14}"/>
      <arg value="build_recursed"/>

Why I didn't think of that sooner, I don't know!

Thanks for the help.

> --- Mike Kaufman <> wrote:
> > > I need to have a single ant target do multiple javac tasks,
> > > some of which use JDK 1.4, others that use JDK 1.3.  Setting
> > > the "build.compiler" property did not seem to work for me.
> I think you'd need to break your single target into separate
> targets --
> one for the 1.3 stuff and one for the 1.4 -- then use
> <antcall>, passing
> build.compiler (or maybe java.home? -- I only have 1.3 and jikes, so I
> can't say for sure) as a <param>.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message