ant-user mailing list archives

From John Volkar <jvol...@etransport.com>
Subject RE: Compiling files 1 at a time
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2002 15:10:56 GMT
Paul,

Of the 8000 source files, cann't you separate them into
tiers/layers/groupings/components and list those in a rough dependancy
order?

We faced a similar situation and took this approach, it worked well for us.
This doesn't really solve you fundamental problem, but it makes it
tractable.  Our first rough layering looked like:
	webapps
	tools
	services
	model
	storage
	utils
Within each layer we used the <parallel> task to gang compile the various
independant sub-projects.

I found that this exercise was good for the overall system design too.

Once you have a compilable base, I'd suggest the policy that no-one commits
changes that break the build too.

John

ps: If you use <parallel> make sure you use fork=yes in your <javac> task!!!