ant-user mailing list archives

From "Smiley, Paul" <ps180...@exchange.DAYTONOH.NCR.com>
Subject RE: Ant, SAX Parser and Internationalization
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2002 21:50:57 GMT
Thanks Bevan, that helps to explain the issue. I've been to a few sites that
indicated that UTF-8 chars included u00F8. Or perhaps I am confusing UTF-8
with Unicode. Since we have to internationalize, I guess the best option is
to get the default encoding at runtime and give it to Ant - and then pray!

_Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: Bevan Arps [mailto:bevan.arps@actfs.co.nz]
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2002 4:27 PM
To: Ant Users List; Ant (E-mail)
Subject: Re: Ant, SAX Parser and Internationalization

At 15:48 18/02/2002 -0500, Smiley, Paul wrote:
>I hope that someone else out there has run across this:
>
><?xml version="1.0"  ?>
><project name="Wenæø" default="CompileDBO" basedir="C:/Wenæø">
></project>
>The parser seems to be choking on the Danish characters æø. I am using the
>Xerces parser bundled with xalan-j_2_2_D13 and Apache Ant 1.4.1. Any ideas?

Yep. Those Danish characters are not part of UTF-8 so the parser is barfing
on them.

There are three possible solutions

-- Encode those characters correctly for UTF-8 (UTF-8 only matches ASCII
for #32 to #127)
-- Switch to a different encoding that supports the Danish characters
directly
-- Don't use Danish characters at all

Hope this helps,
Bevan.

--
"Programming is an Art Form that Fights Back"

Bevan Arps (<mailto:bevan.arps@actfs.co.nz>bevan.arps@actfs.co.nz)
Senior OO Analyst, ACT Financial Systems

This communication  is confidential  to ACT  Financial  Systems  (Asia
Pacific)  and is intended for  use only by the  addressee.   The  views and
opinions  expressed in  this email  are the senders  own and do not
Pacific).