ant-user mailing list archives

From "Schaefer, Don" <don_schae...@xelus.com>
Subject RE: <propertyfile> use cases request
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2002 14:28:49 GMT
For the last use case - handling differences between products we have gone a
different route.  I am sure that other have done something similar as well.

We express the elements we need generically in our "component descriptor".
These elements include:
-queues, system properties, jdbc connection pools,classpaths, ejbs, wars,
directory creation, html, xsl etc.

We then have a transforms for the products that we deliver to: wls51, was401
sse, wls61 and (hopefully soon) jboss.  This allows us to handle the many
differences between the products we support.

But I second the vote for property merge as well as preserving comments.

Thanks for all your work, don.

-----Original Message-----
From: Phil Surette [mailto:psurette@espial.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 9:47 AM
To: 'Ant Users List'; ant-dev
Subject: RE: <propertyfile> use cases request

I use propertyfile but none of the funky stuff you're worrying about.

However, if you're interested in feature requests ;)

- it would be very nice if propertyfile would preserve comments
etc. This is already mentioned in the task documentation as a
nice-to-have. I've looked around the web and can't find any utility
for editing property files that you could use and have considered
writing one. Right now I'm trying to polish up a set of
Jython task definitions however.

- I would also like a property file merge type operation where
the contents of one property file could be added to another
property file and override any shared properties. Basically
what I want is a sort of inheritance for property files.

My use case
for this is related to managing configuration files for
multiple j2ee containers. I have a common properties
file that contains things like jdbc driver names, topic
and queue names etc. But jboss and weblogic have different
naming conventions for some of these things, one container
will need an extra configuration parameter, different
versions of the same container will have some differences,
so I want to do a merge like this:

container.properties
overridden and extended by jboss.properties
overridden and extended by jboss244.properties

The result of this is applied via a copy/with/filterset
operation to jboss244 filter configuration files.