ant-user mailing list archives

From "Koegel, Michael" <Michael.Koe...@partner.commerzbank.com>
Subject AW: Win2K vs Sun
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2002 15:15:20 GMT
Hi Kyle,

have you tried jikes? I would recommend it as build compiler!
Is Linux an option?
My own experience is that a Pentium 4 makes a difference. Are you talking
about PIII or PIV with your W2K-Machine.
Are you using Sun or IBM JDK? I don't know for the compiler, but normally
IBM is faster.

Regards,
 Michael

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Kyle Adams [mailto:kadams@gfs.com]
Gesendet am: Mittwoch, 27. Februar 2002 16:07
An: ant-user@jakarta.apache.org
Betreff: Win2K vs Sun

Some background: my company is migrating all of our mainframe
applications to Java.  Our integration builds (think continuous integration)

currently produce about 200 jars (with more being added every week), run
twice a day, and take ~50 min on the WinNT 4 workstation they're running
on.

We're moving the integration build to a server so we can build faster,
build more, and build more frequently.  We're looking at running the builds
on a server running either Solaris 2.8 or Win2K, but we don't have much
(any) experience running large Java builds on a high-end machine.

My question to ant users out there - what are your experiences running large

builds on either of these two platforms?  Does either one seem inherently
better performance-wise for Java builds?  Why?  Here are the results from
our preliminary testing:

Baseline (current) workstation
  WinNT 4, 512 MB RAM, 750 MHz processor

Here are the specs on platforms under consideration:

Compaq Proliant 380DL, Generation 2
  Win2K, 2GB RAM, Dual 1.2 Ghz processors

Sun Netra T1
  Solaris 2.8, 1GB RAM, 440 MHz processor

Sun E450
  Solaris 2.8, 2GB RAM, Quad 480 MHz processors

Results of building a test suite on each platform, using JDK 1.3 and javac:

Baseline: 14 min
Compaq: 7.5 min
Netra T1: 23 min
E450: 21 min

The dual processors on the Compaq both took about a 58% load during the
build, while the processors on both the baseline and Netra T1 took a 100%
load.  The E450 showed a single processor taking a 100% load, with no
load on the other processors.

It was kind of surprising to see both Sun boxes run slower than the baseline

WinNT 4 workstation.  That's why I'm looking for advice from others who
have experience running large Java builds.

Thanks,

Kyle Adams
Java Developer
Gordon Food Service