ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Holdener <ste...@mail.amnesiac.net>
Subject Re: Deploying to web server
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2002 16:39:41 GMT
David.Bailey@lawson.com wrote:
> One idea we have for dealing with this issue is to define environment
> variables such as $IPLANETDIR and $WEBSPHEREDIR on each
> machine, and letting the wrapper script for ant pick up those values and
> pass them to ant.  This will work, but it requires the introduction and
> maintenance of several (and looking into the future, perhaps MANY)
> environment variables, which we're not crazy about.  Nor are we crazy
> about the prospect of keeping the ant wrapper up to date with all of the
> environment variables.
>
> Another suggestion is a two-step process, which would have ant deliver
> all .wars and .ears to some "canonical" location on each machine (and yet
> to be determined --- 'java.io.tmpdir'?).  The actual deployment to the web
> server/EJB server would happen in a second step, probably without the
> help of ant.

Hrm, do you need to generate any config files differently based on the
target app server?  Or can you always create config's for both IPlanet
and WebSphere and let the app server ignore the other's files?

If the latter is true, I think your two-step process is a good approach.
  You
could have targets like "deploy.websphere" and then call "ant
<your_build_target> deploy.<appserver>" to execute both targets.  The
"deploy.<appserver>" target can behave differently based on the host OS
(${os.name}), or use <pathconvert> (with <map>).  To keep it clean, I'd
put all filesystem mappings in a separate properties file.

-Steve