ant-user mailing list archives

From Michael J McGonagle <fnd...@rcnchicago.com>
Subject Re: Policies/Suggestions on adding attributes...
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2002 20:23:20 GMT
Erik Hatcher wrote:

> You're still speaking in riddles, at least to me, but feel free to come back
> with more specifics if/when you're ready. :)
>
> I'm assuming you're speaking of creating custom Ant tasks ("mapped to the
> XML file").

Basically, I want to know if it is "legal" (ie; does Ant just ignore the
unused attributes) to do the following:

<project name="myproject" author="authorname" default="usage">
</project>

If you notice, I  have added an 'author' attribute that my program is
using to determine the original author for the project.

It could also be done as:

<project name="myproject"  default="usage">
	<target name="project_data">
		<property name="author" value="authorname" />
	</target>
</project>

I had started to design my own datafile for my project, but it really
came out very similar to an Ant build.xml (or at least  a subset of a
build.xml), so rather than create a new file format, I just want to work
with the Ant file directly. Being able to add arbitrary attributes would
be nice, but it would work just as well to have all of the properties
used by my program put into a target that Ant never executes, this way
it shouldn't really interfear with Ant's operation.

Mike