ant-user mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: Ant, SAX Parser and Internationalization
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2002 15:35:07 GMT
Smiley, Paul wrote:

> "...really use UTF-8" - am I not using UTF-8 when using 'encoding="UTF-8"'?
> Is there some type of byte mark as there is with UTF-16?
>
> Also, I need to support Kanji and Chinese characters, so I believe that
> UTF-8 and ISO-8859-1 are inadequate. Any suggestions?
>
> _Paul

UTF-8 is an encoding for Unicode characters into an 8bit stream. Not all
byte sequences are legal under UTF-8. Simply adding encoding="UTF-8"
doesn't make it UTF-8. You need an editor which is capable of writing
out UTF-8 (I use jEdit for that).

UTF-8, being an 8bit encoding for Unicode, can represent all Unicode
characters so it is fine for Chinese, etc.

Conor