ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Holdener <ste...@mail.amnesiac.net>
Subject RE: inner classes
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2002 17:05:30 GMT
On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, hauke stammer <hauke.stammer@mobilcom.de> wrote:

>Compiling round about 2000 source files, Ant fails when running over
>inner classes in one of our packages.

This is just a suggestion, but I'd really recommend breaking the
codebase down into more manageable chunks.  We have also had some
problems with a similarly-sized source tree, but it was even nastier.
Jikes was, we believe, getting confused because of 1) the sheer number
of classes, and 2) a lot of stupid dependencies resulting from poor
design.  The end product was a "successful" build with some corrupt
class files.  Problems showed up in DB access classes, for instance, and
the WebLogic class loader would complain about botched *method names*
that were a jumble of method declarations, random code, and string
literals (SQL code in this case).

Anyway, we're doing our best to break this down into subprojects, which
should have been the approach in the first place.  The idea is that each
subproject team will release versioned, stable libraries to the rest of
the project.  My particular team's project is deployable by itself, so
we should simply provide our latest stable ear file for integration
testing.  There are a *lot* of benefits to this approach, including
faster builds, independent development/release cycles for the teams,
and, of course, valid class files.  :-)

-Steve