ant-user mailing list archives

From "Smiley, Paul" <ps180...@exchange.DAYTONOH.NCR.com>
Subject RE: Ant, SAX Parser and Internationalization
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2002 15:48:30 GMT
Thanks to all for responding!

I am creating deployment descriptors and such on the fly - and using a
writer similar to the following to write them:

		FileOutputStream fos = new FileOutputStream(buildBeanFile);
            OutputStreamWriter osw = new OutputStreamWriter(fos, "UTF-16");
            PrintWriter ps = new PrintWriter(osw);

So, to confirm, if I set the encoding to UTF-8 and write to a stream as
above with encoding, it will be adequate for eastern languages?

_Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: Conor MacNeill [mailto:conor@cortexebusiness.com.au]
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2002 10:35 AM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Re: Ant, SAX Parser and Internationalization

Smiley, Paul wrote:

> "...really use UTF-8" - am I not using UTF-8 when using
'encoding="UTF-8"'?
> Is there some type of byte mark as there is with UTF-16?
>
> Also, I need to support Kanji and Chinese characters, so I believe that
> UTF-8 and ISO-8859-1 are inadequate. Any suggestions?
>
> _Paul

UTF-8 is an encoding for Unicode characters into an 8bit stream. Not all
byte sequences are legal under UTF-8. Simply adding encoding="UTF-8"
doesn't make it UTF-8. You need an editor which is capable of writing
out UTF-8 (I use jEdit for that).

UTF-8, being an 8bit encoding for Unicode, can represent all Unicode
characters so it is fine for Chinese, etc.

Conor