ant-user mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Fwd: newbie ant user: creating a skeleton build.xml?
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2002 17:47:34 GMT
--- stephan beal <stephan@einsurance.de> wrote:
> i'm a complete newbie to ant, but not a newbie user. i've just been
> given the task (no pun intented) of converting our company's make-based
> builds into ant (~2500 classes in 500-some-odd packages). i've searched
> high and low and can find no tool for generating a skeleton build.xml
> for an existing dir structure. i refuse to believe that developers
> actually create that stuff from scratch by hand all the time...

Are you looking to actually replace all your makefiles with Ant build.xml
files? Unless you have some weird complicated build process (like I did,
and yes, I did automate the buildfile-creation first-pass, but it was just
a command-line script -- for ii in ...), you shouldn't actually need to do
that, and it's not really the usual Ant approach, which tends more toward
a single top-level buildfile, using wildcards and filesets.

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)