ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Invoking Tomcat
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2002 19:44:12 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Burgess" <John@riskdecisions.com>
To: "Ant Users List" <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 07:58
Subject: RE: Invoking Tomcat

> I use
>
> <target name="deploy" ...>
> <war warfile="${warname}.war" webxml="WEB-INF/web.xml">
> <classes.. />
> <lib ... />
> <fileset ..jsps../>
> </war>
> </target>
>
> <target name="test" depends="deploy">
> <exec dir="${tchome}\bin" vmlauncher="false" executable="shutdown.bat"/>
> <delete dir="${tchome}\webapps\${warname}" />
> <exec dir="${tchome}\bin" vmlauncher="false" executable="startup.bat"/>
> </target>
>
> The drawback is that ant carries on running until tomcat is stopped, since
> it started it.  It should be possible to do something with a bat file
> containing start startup.bat or similar but I haven't managed to get it to
> work, and don't mind this behaviour anyway.

1. if you use jedit, there is a nice little plug in that runs tomcat in the
IDE; I use this rather than ant itself, at least for dev

2. you can hot update tomcat just by deploying stuff as an expanded war
file; it will notice changes and reload the app. so you dont really need to
start and stop it that much