ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: newbie ant user: creating a skeleton build.xml?
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2002 17:47:11 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "stephan beal" <stephan@einsurance.de>
To: "Ant Users List" <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>; "Jon Skeet"
<jon.skeet@peramon.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 09:34
Subject: Re: newbie ant user: creating a skeleton build.xml?

> On Tuesday 05 February 2002 18:28 pm, Jon Skeet wrote:
> > > i'm a complete newbie to ant, but not a newbie user. i've
> > > just been given the
> > > task (no pun intented) of converting our company's make-based
> > > builds into ant
> > > (~2500 classes in 500-some-odd packages). i've searched high
> > > and low and can
> > > find no tool for generating a skeleton build.xml for an existing dir
> > > structure.
> >
> > Why should you need to? If your existing directory structure is
> > appropriate, you can have one short build file that builds everything.
> >
> > Which bit did you expect to be complicated?
>
> The bit about adding the filenames to the file - but i must admit that i
am
> *assuming* that that's part of the process (i was weened on make, so my
> mind-set is probably a bit broken when it comes to ant). i'd be happy to
be
> wrong!

you're wrong :)

you just need all your classes in a directory tree which matches your app,
say de.einsurance.myproject.{model,view,controller}

point ant at the tree and all your files get dealt with automatically.
Unless you really want to list every file by name.

Same for classpath import, "*.jar" adds all jar files in a directory to the
classpath, which is often useful during compilation too, though a more
rigorous dev process does tend to name each jar they use instead.

-steve