ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Compiling files 1 at a time
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2002 23:30:56 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Ellsworth" <scott@alodar.com>
To: "Ant Users List" <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Cc: "Scott Ellsworth" <scott@alodar.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 14:00
Subject: Re: Compiling files 1 at a time

>> > This assumes also that whenever a person checks in code that it
>> > compiles.
>>
>> Yep.  If you check in broken code, you get a snidemail telling you where
>> the errors are.  To me, this is simple courtesy in a build system that
>> has many users and contributors.

exactly. checking in broken code is a habit you need to get people out of
doing. same for checking in code which breaks somebody elses code. The great
thing about continuous integration is immediate feedback

> > lso, do the constant builds produce the artifacts of the build (output
> > a jar  ,ear files, etc. each time)?
>
> Up to you.  You tell it what target to execute, and that target is
> expected to do whatever it is that you want done every checkin.  In our
> case, it is a full build with a clean step and production of jar files.
> This takes about 7 minutes with our current code.

I am looking at deploying to  test system as part of the continuous
integration process: continuous deployment. Has anyone done this yet?