ant-user mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Getting the filename from a property
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2002 05:13:44 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Diane Holt" <holtdl@yahoo.com>

> > error.message=Oops, you did not specify {0}
> > in a properties file allows programatic substitution of {0}.
>
> Okay, this at least says something. The "{0}" is a little obscure

Obscure?  Huh?  Ant has ${...} all over the place.  How is that at all
obscure to you?  :)

> So if you were thinking of allowing something like:
>   basename={property,file,filename}

<property name="basename" value="${property,file,basename}"/>

That ok to you?

> > The "scripty" stuff you post is far more convoluted and wacky
>
> A-hem... I beg your pardon -- I don't think any of my offerings are
> convoluted, or wacky (or even whacky :)  They might be "scripty", what
> with being <script>'s and all, but they're very -straightforward- scripts.

The goal, at least for most of us Ant committers, is to move Ant further
away from being a "scripting" language and more into being declarative in
Java-speak.  The idea is that the "scripting" of Ant would be at an API
level (where Costin is heading) rather than within Ant build files per se.
At least that is my current perspective on this thing.

You are coming at Ant from a far different perspective than the rest of the
committers, mostly, from what I can tell.  Thats not a bad thing.  But Ant
should not, IMHO, be programmed like bash or JavaScript at the level that
its currently at.  Script tasks are definitely part of my grand view,
without a doubt, but more at an API level than hacking at "internals".

> > (and just flat out not the way Ant should be done)
>
> I disagree. I don't see all that much difference between coding up a
> <script> task in Javascript versus coding up a task in Java.

Currently there is not much difference at all.  I've even made patches to
<script> to make it closer to being a real "task".

I just think the current way of scripting is too "low level", down to the
"metal".  We should be "scripting" at a higher level in the Java
domain-speak.  Does that at all make sense?

> > - again, no offense intended,
>
> Well... you've gotten pretty borderline there, but, I guess I'll forgive
> you, this time :)

I understand where you are coming from, I really do.  (hey, I've written my
share of .sh/.pl/AWK/SED scripts, as well as tons of JavaScript).  Again, I
believe our mission here, at least mine, is to elevate Ant to "speak" closer
to our problem domain, that of building Java projects.  Surely you can't
argue with that sentiment, can you?

Again, no offense intended, just thinking and postulating out loud about
dilemmas Ant faces and where it should be headed.

    Erik