ant-user mailing list archives

From "Otto Perdeck" <otto.perd...@xs4all.nl>
Subject How to use hierarchical property files?
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2002 22:13:10 GMT
Hello,

I'd like to be able to use a hierarchical set of optional property files to set up the properties
of my project, e.g.:

0. default properties
1. OS family specific properties, if existing, overriding the previously set props
2. OS specfic properties, same
3. host specific properties, same
4. user specific properties, same

Simple as this might seem, I could not manage to do this with Ant alone. Somehow, using

<property file=file0/>
<property file=file1/>
etc.

doesn't work, because every new "<property file=...>" seems to reset ALL properties?!
I would *expect* it to just load another set of properties on top of the existing set. I would
*like* it  to override the existing values, but I appreciate that Ant props are immutable
- but this could easily be overcome by reversing the order of loading.

I now use an external program (in Java, of course) to "cat" all the given files together,
making one large property file.

What am I doing wrong? I can't imagine Ant doesn't support something like this.

Thanks,

-Otto Perdeck