ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: ant task condition and Forte4Java
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2002 04:57:10 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Diane Holt" <holtdl@yahoo.com>
To: "Ant Users List" <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2002 12:56 PM
Subject: Re: ant task condition and Forte4Java

> --- Scott Ellsworth <scott@alodar.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday, February 7, 2002, at 12:05  PM, Steve Holdener wrote:
> >
> > > Another approach that might require more effort would be to include
> > > an indication of when a tast was introduced on each task's page. So
> > > <condition> would have "Introduced:  1.4" or something.
> >
> > I like this a bit better myself, as then we can add mentions like
> > "added 1.5  20020231" to the documents in progress,
>
> I'd be worried about something like that getting out of control. It's not
> only tasks that get introduced, but attributes and functionality as well.
> And how do we police things to make sure the notes get added (we're having
> enough trouble keeping up with copyright updates :)
>
> I was just thinking of something like:
>
>                      ANT USER MANUAL
>                       Release 1.4.1
>
> Seemed to me that anyone reading a doc with a release number on it
> shouldn't be expecting any guarantees that anything documented in it would
> be valid for any other release (backwards or forwards).

+ we state the fact: "if ant -version != 1.4.1 then this is not the right
manual"
+ we say in big letters on the front where to to download the later version
+ we add a date of release, with the note "As new versions of ant tend to
appear every 6-8 months, if
you are reading a dated copy, then upgrade". Actually you could implement
that in javascript; compare now
with then and only suggest updates after six months, but that is just going
overboard.