ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: AW: Win2K vs Sun
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2002 23:51:20 GMT

I dont think the Nt box did spread the load well; 58% per cpu is a balanced
116% of one part...I bet if you looked at the kmode portion of the load
(show kernel times in taskman), that 16% would be file IO, not java.

By default ant single threads, javac is also single threaded. nobody has
added any explicit support for synchronization in their tasks so going MP
would be dangerous.

if you use <parallel> to run stuff in parallel, dont try and run multiple
<javac> copies simultaneously, unless  you set fork=true to run them in
their own JVM

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kyle Adams" <kadams@gfs.com>
To: <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 11:54
Subject: Re: AW: Win2K vs Sun

More info:

JDK 1.3 and Sun's javac were used on all machines.  While jikes will speed
up
the build, we're currently using javac for any builds at the integration
level or
above (test, production environments).

The chip on the Compaq machine is a Pentium III.

Linux is not an option - the Unix group at our company has decided Linux is
an
unsupported OS.

Question:

If using the <parallel> task allows Ant to more effectively use MP, then why
did the Win2K machine appear to do a much better job of distributing the
load (without the <parallel> task)?

As stated in my first post, both processors showed a 58% load.  This is in
contrast to the Sun E450 that had a 100% load on one processor while the
other three had no load.

Kyle