ant-user mailing list archives

From "Emir Alikadic" <ealika...@sympatico.ca>
Subject RE: J#... why? [ off topic ]
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2002 03:15:10 GMT
> Since a lot of people have been asking WHY I would
> want to use J# for anything, I supposed I should
> explain.
>
> We have a large J2EE project that is all written
> (obviously) in Java. It runs in either the Weblogic
> or the Websphere app servers. (None of our customers
> is interested in running a free appserver.)

Snide comment aside, I'm beginning to suspect that your clients don't
evaluate products based on the underlying technology but on ads in popular
industry mags.

> Our customers now are asking to run the app on .NET,
> for two reasons: one, because they'd like to not
> have to pay for an app server, and two, because they'd
> like to extend it with .NET components rather than
> EJBs, and have it access data via ADO.NET instead of
> JDBC, and so forth.

My suspicions seem justified: your clients have obviously spent a
considerable amount of time under a rock, for they obviously missed the
outrage over Microsoft's new licensing policies - which can only get worse
once they actually release that .NET thingy.  Sure, you get the app server
"free" but you cough up so much dough for the underlying OS that it no
longer matters.
As for your second point, why?  More precisely, what makes them think that
.NET components and ADNO.NET are going to be better that EJB/JDBC?  Notice
the future tense here, for there are no RELEASED products in the .NET family
(only lots of alfa/beta/R&D stuff) while J2EE has a series of RELEASED and
industry-proven products. Sun, IBM, BEA, Borland, Sybase...

> So we're trying to figure out how to do this without
> abandoning all our Java code. J# seems like the obvious
> solution. Yes, there are various problems, like the
> 1.1.x compat issue, but those can be solved. I hope.
>
> The only alternative I can think of is to keep compiling
> the app into actual java byte codes, and then use JNI
> to access the .NET bits. We may end up having to do that,
> but I would think that a customer who asks for .NET
> would rather that the whole thing ran in .NET.
>
> - Joe

Joe, I really envy you: with clients like that, I could finally buy that BMW
Z8 and build that jacuzzi my girlfriend keeps nagging me about.  Of course,
I'm not too sure when would my ethics finally kick in, forcing me to tell
these poor suckers what the reality is.

Sincerely,

Emir.