ant-user mailing list archives

From "Rick Hightower" <r...@eblox.com>
Subject RE: Java Tools for eXtreme Programming covers junitreport was Re: tutorials on junitreport?
Date Thu, 17 Jan 2002 16:58:43 GMT
Regarding:
"I saw it in a bookstore, and it looked like half of it
was an API reference.  Can you verify this?"

Actually it is a 500 page book and only 150 pages are API Reference.
The API reference includes sample code so it is not just a rehash of
the APIs.

The book's spec. out was 350 pages and is priced like a
350 page book so you could consider the API reference free. :o)
I like the idea of an API reference as a quick reference guide that is
why I added it to the book.

Java Tools for eXtreme Programming describes techniques for implementing the
Extreme Programming practices of Automated Testing and Continuous
Integration using Open Source tools, e.g., Ant, JUnit, HttpUnit, Cactus,
JMeter, and much more.

The book contains small examples and tutorials on each tool. The examples
cover building, deploying, and testing Java and J2EE applications.

In addition to small examples, there are larger case studies. The case
studies are larger more realistic examples. We have case studies and
examples involving XSLT, EJB, Struts, TagLibs, JDBC, etc.

Each case study is complete with an ant build script and several tests,
written with JUnit, HttpUnit, Cactus, JUnitPerf and/or JMeter. The case
studies focus on building, deploying and testing J2EE applications with Ant
and JUnit.

There is also a reference section for APIs. Instead of rehashing the API
documentation, the reference section has example usage, i.e., code examples
for the important classes and methods.

Although this book speaks from an XP perspective, you need not practice XP
to benefit from it. For example, you do not have to adopt the entire XP
methodology to get value out of this book. Automated testing, for example,
can help you refactor code regardless of whether you are doing pair
programming or not. Continuous integration can help you detect and fix
problems early in the lifecycle of the system regardless of whether your
customer is on site or not.

Also check out the Amazon reviews from people who have read the book at:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/047120708X/

Check out the TOC at:
http://www.rickhightower.com/JavaXPToolkit/TOC.html

Rick Hightower
Director of Development
eBlox, Inc.

eBlox Tucson
phone: 520-615-9345 x103
fax: 520-529-5774

* Check out my new book!:                 *
* Java Tools for Extreme Programming:     *
* Mastering Open Source Tools,            *
* including Ant, JUnit, and Cactus        *

http://www.rickhightower.com/JavaXPToolkit/

Buy it at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/047120708X/

The book was written by members of the eBlox team!

--- John Smith <johnjamessmith1997@yahoo.com> wrote:
> The book "Java Tools for eXtreme Programming" covers
> integrating Ant and JUnit it has several examples
> using junitreport.
>
> "Java Tools for eXtreme Programming describes
> techniques for implementing the Extreme Programming
> practices of Automated Testing and Continuous
> Integration using Open Source tools, e.g., Ant,
> JUnit,
> HttpUnit, JMeter, and much more."
> http://www.rickhightower.com/JavaXPToolkit/

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/047120708X/qid=1010813474/br=1-9/ref=