ant-user mailing list archives

From "Herman, Dave" <dher...@intrado.com>
Subject RE: Inter-project dependencies?
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2002 18:37:49 GMT
Thanks,

The problem is that the projects are being developed separately, i.e., with
separate directory structures and separate build scripts. There was a
discussion last June on this mailing list about multiple build scripts, but
I had trouble finding solid conclusions from it.

The reasons I'd like to use separate build scripts are:

* different projects have different internal structure
* different projects should be checked out of source control separately
  to allow flexibility in what versions to use, so they need to be in
  separate directory structures
* it prevents one build script from getting huge and unmanageable
* to avoid resource contention when multiple people want to make
  changes to build scripts for different projects

Of course, some of the problems with using multiple build scripts are that
dependencies aren't as straight-forward and that the projects have to have
some way of locating each other.

(One way to avoid the whole problem is to build the projects separately and
just put the binary releases from one project into another, but our QA
process requires that we deliver only sources of anything we've developed to
them, and they do the builds.)

Thanks,
Dave Herman
dherman@intrado.com