ant-user mailing list archives

From "Schaible, Jorg" <Joerg.Schai...@gft.com>
Subject RE: Ant for J#?
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2002 09:55:50 GMT
Hi Joaquin,

>I don't want to be political, but what's the point on working on
>abortive standards.  It is cumbersome technically to support
>alternative java-like languages, and this may take away momentum
>for existing java support and future developments.  Also, I fail
>to see the point to support a language that will forever only run
>on one environment: Windows.

Open Source development is driven by need. Ignoring the world is politics.
As former core C++ programmer I could have ignored Java, too. Not everything
M$ delivers is bad, it's their business behaviour. Especially .NET will
blast the borders of Windows if Mono is successfull (also driven by need).
To be honest, my first thought reading about the .NET unit was "one could
write a Java compiler for their CLR". Just seemed obviuos.

Regards,
Jorg