ant-user mailing list archives

From "Trogdon, David" <David.Trog...@na.biomerieux.com>
Subject RE: InstallShield support
Date Wed, 02 Jan 2002 20:09:21 GMT
Using ISBuild.exe that is a command line executable for Installshield you
may be able to do what you are after.

ANT builds my source files and saves them to a "source" directory.
Any resource files you need included in the IS build get copied here as
well.
The source files are then copied to a "dynamic" directory.
Create your installation project in IS. I make my file groups dynamic and
point them to the "dynamic" directory I just mentioned. This way any source
files that have changed are included automatically.
Specify/name your media build for the first time e.g. CD or whatever. Once
you installataion and media build are right, you don't have to open IS
again.

Scripting in Ant you can do something similar to:

<exec dir ="*PATH*" executable="ISBuild.exe"
    <arg value ="/m*MEDIA NAME*"/>
    <arg value ="/p*PROJECT LOCATION*"/>
    <arg value ="/b*BUILD DESTINATION*"/>
    <arg value ="/s*SILENT MODE if desired*"/>
</exec>

Information between the * you have to provide.

On a Windows platform, this causes a Command Window to open and the IS build
takes place.

Any final resource files needed in the final media build but that you do not
necessarily want compressed into a CAB file can now be added to the build
destination.

The dynamic directory remains until the next IS build when it is deleted and
recreated fresh. This way, current files are in place any time you need to
modify your IS installation.

If you create some properties at the beginning of your ANT script to define
the build version, they can be changed before you run the build.

If you set everything up right, you will have separate directories for each
and every build for source files and media builds. You will just edit your
ANT script for the version number and all directory and file handling can be
done with ANT script.

All that will remain is to create your media.

David T.