ant-user mailing list archives

From Bevan Arps <bevan.a...@actfs.co.nz>
Subject Re: Ant keeps growing in memory when calling multiple scripts
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2002 19:52:16 GMT
At 09:54 29/01/2002 -0800, James Bullington wrote:
>I also seem to have the problem except that my build file is all one
>file.  It seems to happen when I make use of lots of <antcall
>target...>.
>My solution was to bump up the size of memory and stack, but this seems
>to be a temporary fix.
>I am using ant 1.3 which came with Weblogic 6.1.

When you use AntCall it completely reparses the XML file into memory again,
and it seems lax about releasing the memory afterwards. I don't know if
this is due to retained references or a lazy garbage collector.

I have had multiple build scripts that go as high as 350M of memory - I had
to split them to avoid overrunning virtual memory.

[Shameless self plug coming up]

One thing that helps is to avoid AntCall completely - in my case I achieved
this by using some XSLT to generate parts of the build script.

Check out my post to ant-dev a couple of days ago entitled "Submission -
Ant Templating" for some XSLT you could find useful. Note that you *don't*
need to know XSLT to use this, my submission allows you to write the
templates completely within your build file.

Cheers,
Bevan.

--
"Programming is an Art Form that Fights Back"

Bevan Arps (<mailto:bevan.arps@actfs.co.nz>bevan.arps@actfs.co.nz)
Senior OO Analyst, ACT Financial Systems

This communication  is confidential  to ACT  Financial  Systems  (Asia
Pacific)  and is intended for  use only by the  addressee.   The  views and
opinions  expressed in  this email  are the senders  own and do not
Pacific).