ant-user mailing list archives

From Bevan Arps <bevan.a...@actfs.co.nz>
Subject Re: Ant for J#?
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2002 19:17:33 GMT
At 23:10 7/01/2002 -0800, Darth Darknerd wrote:

>Also, I fail
>to see the point to support a language that will forever only run
>on one environment: Windows.

The entire world doesn't revolve around Java - and there are many users of
Ant (myself included) who use it very successfully for building non-java
projects.

Currently Ant is a superb tool for automating software builds as well as
deployment and intranet documentation. This is in very large part due to
it's ability to handle more than just "Pure Java".

I for one would be hugely in favour of some kind of "generic" compiler task
that can be configured (say through an external property file) for almost
any compiler at all. Unfortunately, my own Java skills aren't up to writing
such a task so I've kept quiet.

Cheers,
Bevan.

--
"Programming is an Art Form that Fights Back"

Bevan Arps (<mailto:bevan.arps@actfs.co.nz>bevan.arps@actfs.co.nz)
Senior OO Analyst, ACT Financial Systems

This communication  is confidential  to ACT  Financial  Systems  (Asia
Pacific)  and is intended for  use only by the  addressee.   The  views and
opinions  expressed in  this email  are the senders  own and do not
Pacific).