ant-user mailing list archives

From Dean Hiller <dhil...@avaya.com>
Subject rmic design question-quick one I think
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2002 15:12:11 GMT
This question is to developers but I have copied the user list as many users may want to know....

    I have a question about the design of rmic.  Looking at the code, it uses base as the
source and the destination for rmi generation, unlike javac.  Taking a look at rmic that came
with jdk1.3(I don't have much knowledge of previous rmic's), the source comes from the classpath,
and the -d option specifies the target, clearly allowing ant rmic task to have a separate
source and destination folder.  My question is, why was the design not done this way?? and
is there plans to change it? or can I

modify it, so that either base is required or dest and src is required(for backwards compatibility).
    This way so that those that want to generate their rmic from one location and place it
somewhere else can(this is very common as stubs get posted on web sites and the rest of the
code doesn't sometimes).
thanks for any info you can provide,
Dean