ant-user mailing list archives

From "Ron Coutts" <R...@quadrus.com>
Subject RE: Best Practices (was Re: Init)
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2002 23:23:17 GMT
A best practices web page would be very useful.
Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: Bevan Arps [mailto:bevan.arps@actfs.co.nz]
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2002 3:02 PM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Best Practices (was Re: Init)

At 14:53 9/01/2002 -0700, you wrote:

>Would people be interested in such a web page? I'll be glad to head off
the
>effort. Perhaps it could just start as a conversation here on the
mailing
>list, and I could collect the results in the web page.

I'd be interested in contributing a thought or three for this -
something
like this would have been a big help to me when getting started,
especially
if it included ways to handle common situations.

As a slight aside:
I've found that every system has a "culture" or "paradigm" that
underpins -
more than the syntax of how things *can* be done, it's the subtle
dynamic
that shows how things *should* be done.

For example, Delphi code that has been directly transliterated into Java

code may run and produce the correct answer, but any Java guru would
probably throw her hands up in horror.

To put it another way - there is more different between C++, Java,
Delphi
and XXX than the syntax of the language, just as there is more different

between English and French than the vocabulary and grammar.

Cheers,
Bevan.

--
"Programming is an Art Form that Fights Back"

Bevan Arps (<mailto:bevan.arps@actfs.co.nz>bevan.arps@actfs.co.nz)
Senior OO Analyst, ACT Financial Systems

This communication  is confidential  to ACT  Financial  Systems  (Asia
Pacific)  and is intended for  use only by the  addressee.   The  views
and
opinions  expressed in  this email  are the senders  own and do not
Pacific).