ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Ant for J#?
Date Sat, 05 Jan 2002 04:45:47 GMT
I'll start with a personal stance
  c# is the best language for win32 dev right now; J# is a wierd little
thingy as it has hacks to get it to interop and both MS and Sun implicitly
hate the beast. MS, because they hate java, Sun because it aint real java.

With that out the way

1. J#'s runtime is a clean room implementation of java packages without the
ability to dynamically load .class files. The lawsuit prevents MS from using
the sun tests to verify the implementation works; I would not be surprised
to find many corner cases. RMI? Serialisation? Who knows.

2. Its only java1.1

3. I dont see why you couldnt write a j# compiler to go alongside the C# one
in the optional library, which also calls out to the executables; the C#
task should act as a good codebase for this.

4. The <csharp> task doesnt do dependency checking (someone needs to add
this), and I am not sure that anyone uses it on large projects.

5. There is a 'nant' project on sourceforge which does an 'ant for .net'.
Have a look at this first,

Another interesting question is "could you run ant on j#", for which I think
the answer is "maybe, but taskdef is out"

-steve