ant-user mailing list archives

From "DONNIE HALE" <DH...@longaberger.com>
Subject Re: Proper use of <uptodate> (a little off-topic)
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2001 19:37:01 GMT
That makes sense. The only hitch is that my "determining property" is an environment variable.
So, as you say, I have to jump through a bunch of <conditional> hoops to turn that into
one of several different properties for a <target>'s "if".

Might I propose that this would be much simpler if <target> had this construct:

<target name="..." depends="..." if="prop.name" equals="prop.value">
</target>

The presence of the "equals" attribute implies doing more than just testing the existence
of a property but actually testing the value of a property. So I can set the property with
a single line based on my environment variable. Then I don't need any conditionals, just the
<target>s you suggest. There could also be an "equalsIgnoreCase", and they'd both work
for "unless" also.

Thanks again,

Donnie

>>> holtdl@yahoo.com 12/19/01 01:22PM >>>
Actually, I was thinking you'd have targets with the block of properties
you need to set, conditionally running the target based on your
determining property.

Using <condition>, you'd set a property to "if" on in the property-setting
targets (eg., you'd set something like "setForVal1" if your determining
property was equal to "val1", "setForVal2" if it was equal to "val2",
etc., and have <target name="setVal1Props" if="setForVal1">).

Using Matt's <switch>, you'd just set "target" to run the property-setting
target you needed (eg., <case value="val1" target="setVal1Props"/>).

Diane