ant-user mailing list archives

From "DONNIE HALE" <DH...@longaberger.com>
Subject Re: Proper use of <uptodate> (a little off-topic)
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2001 15:11:39 GMT
We've only got one target - the .ear file. What we have is four different WebLogic "domains"
- unit, int, qa, and "arch" (for architecture testing, etc.). Each of those imply different
directories, admin server ports, etc. The shell script has a case statement that sets up all
this very nicely, and with Ant's current facilities, it's much more convoluted. Now if Ant
had a <case> task ... :)

Donnie

>>> steve_l@iseran.com 12/19/01 01:37AM >>>

I would recommend you have separate deploy build files for each target,
using similarly named parameters (deploy.warfile, deploy.host ...) and then
call these targets from your main file using <ant>. This keeps things more
controllable. The cactus project has some examples

----- Original Message -----
From: "DONNIE HALE" <DHALE@longaberger.com>
To: <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2001 14:20
Subject: Re: Proper use of <uptodate> (a little off-topic)

As far as deployment goes, I started down that track using ant. However, we
have four different environments that we can deploy to; and trying to
conditionally do the right thing for each from a single file is more
procedural than declarative. Using WebLogic's command-line deployment tools
is just a simple execution of "java" with the right command line. It took
about a 25-line shell script, most of it for checking errors, to get what I
wanted in a lot more straightforward manner than trying to do it in ant. For
our NT platform, I've got an ant target that just does an <exec> on our
deploy.cmd file.

Hope that helps,

Donnie