ant-user mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject RE: manifest class path
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2001 03:21:59 GMT
Matthew,

> >      <jar jarfile="test.jar" basedir="." manifest="manifest.mf">
> >        <include name="src/**"/>
> >        <manifest>
> >          <attribute name="Class-Path" value="${classpath.string}"/>
> >        </manifest>
> >      </jar>
> >

> Great so this will merge the in-line manifest with the specified
> manifest (manifest="manifest.mf") ?

Yes

> I can see it is contentious, but what happens when there are
> overlapping Class-Path entries ?

Well one Sun spec says you can't have duplicate entries in the same section of a manifest
while another recommends multiple Class-Path entries. We have made a change in CVS which treats
Class-Path as a special case. Ant 1.4.1 will complain if there are multiple entries, I believe.

> The manifest spec say you can have multiple Class-Path entries as
> I read it, but from viewing the 1.4.1 code it looks like the
> section merge code will replace one with the other

That wasn't how I originally read the spec:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/jar/jar.html

Check the Notes section. In any case we do now allow it.

> Thanks very much for clearing this up (sorry about the feature grab ;-)

Actually I tried an experiment to take and Ant path, convert it into a property and then use
that in the "classpath.string" setting above but it did not work since it gives absoluet path
elements where you really want relative elements for this application. You may be able to
use <pathconvert> but I didn't go that far.

Conor